6.21.2007

Life is short so go on and live it, 'cause the chicks dig it

So last week I was on the couch, remote in hand, ready to watch the results show of So You Think You Can Dance. Then the TV flipped out, and all I could get were Spanish channels. Because I'm lazy, I didn't do anything about it until yesterday (in the back of my mind, I thought it would just sort itself out). So I call the cable company and they agree to send someone out. When the guy came, he fiddled with things for a few minutes before it all magically came back. Turns out there was nothing wrong with the signal, some setting got off on the TV itself. The cable guy was at least kind enough to cancel the request so that I won't get charged (I hope...we'll see when the bill comes in).

This experience made me wish, for the millionth time, that I had a boy around. Not only would this boy be able to fix my TV, he would unclog my shower, fix my washing machine, and make the emergency brake light go away in my car. According to Mike, "man skills" such as these are not valued enough by women. I, for one, completely disagree.

Man skills are hot.

This is not to say that I want to marry a plumber. I think President Hinckley had it right when he said, "We speak of being 'equally yoked.' That applies, I think, to the matter of education." I just want that educationally equally yoked to be able to fix a few things around the house.

I do not think this is such a ridiculous request. I have been told since I was a Merrie Miss in primary that it was necessary for me to gain certain skills becuase I would need them in my future home. This is why I had Mutual nights where I learned how to iron a shirt, sew on a button, and cook a meal for twelve. I do not resent this training; it's actually quite useful.

So men, dig out those long-lost boy scout lessons and get to work. You can start with my shower.

2 comments:

Saule Cogneur said...

I'm afraid most guys aren't much better at fixing stuff than their female counterparts. In this day and age, it's every man for him(or her)self.

That or everyman back to the store to buy a new one.

Ali B. said...

Man skills ARE hot! And, they are even hotter when said man performing the skills leaves out all the explatives while performing the task at hand... we like to think you men actually know what your doing, fake it, we can't tell!