6.13.2007

Humor: editor style

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

When I was in junior high, our typing/computers/whatever teacher had this poem above his chalkboard. I thought of it then what I think of it now: incredibly corny, but it has a point. Spell checkers will never replace a human being. Observe the following examples*, which are not nearly as over-the-top but are much funnier.

Screenline: A line across parallel roadways that defines a zone of analysts.
Now, this zone of analysts are posing as sagebrush, while this group represents the jackrabbits...

The sheet filed with our map shows our special dispensation under the ordinance because of the graphic nature of our design.
An X-rated parking lot, coming to a shopping center near you.

The compost site currently receives 200-tons of material per day, which is processed into compost and mulch for use on organic farms, gardeners, landscapers, and public agencies.
I can see the adds now: Organic compost--garden-fresh skin in just 5 days!


*These are actual examples taken from real documents. Details have been changed to protect the innocent. All are included here in good fun--I know I'm certainly not above a typo or two myself.

No comments: