5.28.2007

And the award for idiot of the year goes to…

Short story: I bought a plane ticket for Sunday, not Thursday, which would have meant missing my brother’s homecoming talk, which was half the point of coming home. Changing the ticket would have cost $600 (I only paid $500 for the original ticket), which was out of the question. So my solution was to buy a new ticket to Salt Lake and drive up with my grandparents.

Long story: So there I was at work, humming to myself because I was so excited to go home. I glanced down at my itinerary as I was putting it away and noticed that it said Sunday, May 27, not Thursday, May 24. Must be a mistake, I thought. So I log onto Travelocity. Nope, not a mistake (at least not theirs). I started panicking (short of breath, shaking, the whole nine yards... my coworker describes this really well). I could not wait until Sunday. So I call Delta, who tells me that it will be $600 to switch my flight. My dad had conveniently lost his cell phone and wasn’t answering his office phone. I had to hunt down my mom at school to break the bad news and try to come up with a better solution. She suggested calling Travelocity. They said it would be $650, plus their $80 fee. Ouch. I don’t have that kind of money, especially for a ticket that I already bought. In talking about this whole mess with the same coworker, she offhandedly said, “Well, you could always drive home like you did at Christmas.” That’s when the little light bulb went on. My grandparents would be driving to my house from Spanish Fork the next day. So I bought a last-minute (and still overpriced, but way cheaper than $600) one-way ticket to Salt Lake and spent the next day in a car. My grandpa even refrained from asking me if there are any nice young men in my ward, and they let me drive the last section. So I still made it home in time to hear him speak.

Moral: Always always always triple check travel arraingements. And then do it once more just for good measure.

No comments: