10.09.2007

We're on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know

Last week I remembered why I don't tell my parents everything. It's not because I'm not trying to be devious or untruthful. I just learned at a young age that there are certain things they just don't need to know.

Example A: Conversation with Dad 1
Dad: Doing anything this weekend?
Me: I'm going to a Pat Monahan concert.
Dad: Who?
Me: Most people haven't heard of him. He's the lead singer of Train.
Dad: Who?
Me: Drops of Jupiter? Meet Virginia?
Dad: Trains go on tracks and go "toot-toot."
This is the mild version of my parental editing: they just don't understand sometimes.

Example B: Conversation with Dad 2
Dad: So how was the concert?
Me: It was really fun. I enjoyed the House of Blues.
Dad: Why's that?
Me: It's standing room only, everyone just packed in with everyone.
Dad: What if there was a fire? An emergency?
Me: There were exits.
Dad: Well, you said standing room only...
Me: I just meant there weren't chairs. It was a big hall.
This is the main reason: they worry.

I also remembered why I don't really tell my parents about boys I like, my eating habits, and how much sleep I get. They worry. And when they worry, I worry about worrying them. So why tell them?

No comments: