8.10.2007

Happy is what happens when all your dreams come true

So tonight, while trying to convince myself that "choosing" to be alone was better than outright rejection, Becoming Jane became the fourth movie I've ever cried in. The other three are Moulin Rouge!, Ladder 49, and Kate and Leopold (don't ask).

There was once a time when I was strictly a happy ending sort of girl. I wanted to know how things end, and I wanted them to end well. I've never really liked Romeo and Juliet, Gone with the Wind was good until the end, and I absolutely hated The Perfect Storm.

"But, then one day, the girl grew up and went beyond the walls of the grounds and found the world." In effect, I finally had the opportunity to live those chick flicks (at least on some level...). But unlike those movies, none of these relationships had a happy ending. Suddenly, My Best Friend's Wedding had a perfectly acceptable ending.

For various reasons, I've spent most of this week feeling 14 again. I think that's why I had such a strong reaction tonight. Normal me loved the movie; young me was ridiculously upset that true love didn't conquer all. Young me is winning the battle tonight, but normal me will win the war.

Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.

No comments: