1.27.2008

Cars should come with owner's manuals. Oh wait...

So when I got back from Christmas, my car's battery was dead. The nice man from AAA explained that car batteries were not meant to last 6 years and replaced it for me.

Two weeks later, the fog lights turned on without me actually turning them on. While I was driving, while the car was parked, even after I shut them off they turned on again. Not wanting to kill yet another battery, I pulled the fuse until I could get it in to a mechanic.

The mechanic at the dealership explained that I needed a new switch, whatever that means, and that it would be about $350. I was expecting that, so no big deal. However, when he returned to tell me my car was ready, he also told me that I needed new brakes (and a new caliper and rotors). For $780, he could do that too. Luckily for me, he had to order in the caliper, so I didn't say yes right away. As he brought my car back to me, he said, "Didn't you see the brake light?"

Okay, so that light has been on for at least a year. However, I just assumed that the sensor was broken and ignored it. After this conversation I looked in the owner's manual and it turns out that light being on means you should have your brakes checked as soon as possible. Who knew?

$780 was still a lot of money, so I got a second opinion. Good thing I did, because I was able to get new brakes and rotors for $400 less. Hooray for helpful friends and family who told me I was getting ripped off and helped me find another mechanic.

So now I have spent nearly $1,000 on my car this year. And it's not even February yet.

No comments: