12.04.2007

By small and simple things

So last summer while we were trying not to melt in Boston, we stopped at a mall kiosk selling zipper purses. We were quickly approached by the kiosk salesman, who being the smarmy salesman type, struck up a conversation.

"Where are you ladies from...CIN-ci-na-ti?"
"No, we're from Wyoming."
"Oh. I do not know where CIN-ci-na-ti is, but I like to say it."

He told us he would cut us a deal if we sang him a song from where we were from. So my mom, sister, and I launched into "Home on the Range." Then of course to get the price he was offering, we had to buy 4. Then if we bought one more he would give us one free. He kept saying, "What about little Suzy in Wyoming? She needs a Christmas present!" We ended up with six coin purses and a really fun memory.

So on Saturday when I misplaced mine at Target, I was more upset about the purse than what was inside (not money; I use mine to hold chapstick and nail clippers and other flotsam that ends up in the bottom of my purse). I knew it was dumb, but the purse was a tangible reminder of my experience on that trip.

So as corny as it sounds, I said a little prayer that someone would find it and turn it in to customer service. And someone did.


"And now what evidence have ye that there is no God, or that Christ cometh not? I say unto you that ye have none, save it be your word only. But, behold, I have all things as a testimony that these things are true; and ye also have all things as a testimony unto you that they are true; and will ye deny them?"

No comments: